We are really pleased to welcome Carlo Lio‘s Rawthentic Music for our latest Label Spotlight at NOYZ. Carlo kindly took the time out ahead of the latest release on the label by Bimas to answer our questions and give us an insight into what the future holds for the fledgling imprint.
Hey Carlo, First of all, thank you for taking part in our label spotlight feature here at NOYZ. As you have probably seen from the site we are huge fans of your music and Rawthentic so its a great honour to have you grace our pages!
No problem! Thanks for the support!
1. Rawthentic was created in 2005 by Nathan and Jason Borato. You soon joined forces with the brothers. How did that partnership come about?
Well Nathan was one of my fav djs and still is. I used to go watch him back in the day before I even had my first gig. We became really close over the years and shortly after he started Rawthentic I was thinking about doing the label thing to as well. So thats when he asked me to jump on board and I did.
2. How would you explain the musical direction of Rawthentic and how do you think that has developed over time?
Well Rawthentic I feel really sticks to it’s guns. Especially over the past 3 or 4 years where I feel it has really came into its sound. It def. emphasizes on the word RAW and the music bleads it. Nitty Gritty stripped down chuggy sexy dark hypnotic house & techno and everything in between.
3. You must receive a lot of demos. What advice can you give to producers who would like to get their music signed to Rawthentic?
We do receive TONS of demos and its absolutely impossible to listen to the all. The best thing I can say to these new cats who are looking to be on the label is “Listen to the Label” then decide if you fit or not. It would make all of our lives much easier. 97% of the demos really dont fit, and its something every artist should know when sending music to any label.
4. You have obviously kept a consistent release schedule with over 70 releases so far. What have been the biggest challenges facing the label over the last 7 years?
Well I would def say the biggest challenge for the label is myself. My career is obviously my priority so having to focus on that sometimes takes away from the label. With all the touring and gigs its not easy to give RAW the full focus I want to. But this is def changed and now with some help the label will get the full attention it deserves and we are pushing extra strong from here on out!
5. We noticed that you still sell your releases on vinyl. Do you do this for every release and what are your thoughts on Vinyl as a format moving into the future?
We do not do this for every release. The vinyl world is still a diff ball game compared to the digital world. Theres artist that you see sell tons on beatport but wouldnt sell much on vinyl. As for the future of vinyl. I can only see it getting better. It never died as people say it did. Maybe went down hill for a minute but it never left us. I still have the warm feeling inside when holding my own release on a record and i think many feel the same way.
6. What are your thoughts on piracy from a labels perspective and do feel that the problem is worsening?
My thoughts are simple. IT REALLY SUCKS!! But I am a realist and I know there is nothing that can be done about it. It is what it is and i dont let that problem get in head. Its a shame because we all work so hard as producers and put in obscene amounts of time to give people our art and within minutes have it online for free, but again; the issue it to out of hand. I dont know how much worse it can get but I def dont see it getting much better.
7. How do you find the time to manage running the label whilst also touring the world and having your own individual release schedule?
Yea I sometimes ask myself the same thing. Up until a few months ago I was doing all this myself. Needless to say its been everything but easy. But I love the label and I love this game and thats what it really comes down to. I make time.
8. What are your plans for the future for Rawthentic?
Growing the label is def always the goal. But eventually I would like to start with Rawthentic Parties when the time is right and the label has reached that level. But my main goal is to keep releasing quality music I love and the RAW followers love.
9. Can you give us any information about future releases and any new producers that you are working with that we should look out for?
Some artists you will see upcoming on the label are / Figuera & Obando, Technasia, Onno, Bimas, The Junkies, Myself, Saso Recyd Clio.
As for myself I have some new things up on Mindshake, Scitec, Saved, Rawthentic … but there will be much more.. Now I am finally back in the studio, so that list should grow
10. This is probably the most difficult question of all but is there one particular Rawthentic release that is your favourite?
Def a diff Question but i would have to say my fav release is Clio – Your Eyes w/ Leon remix. Just cant get enough of it.
Thanks again Carlo!
Check out the latest release on Rawthentic by the very talented Bimas. A very solid E.P with two strong remixes from Onno and Nikola Gala.
You can purchase the entire E.P over at Beatport by clicking here